Since the 1st of December 2014, Expertise France coordinates the funding of the Cohesive Approaches for tackling violence against LBT women in Georgia project via the "Human Rights, Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity" International Support Fund (Fund), the management of which has been ensured by the agency since 2010.
The project aims at reinforcing capacities of the LBT (lesbian, bisexual and transgender) community and promoting women's rights in this Georgian community, where they are faced with violence.
The project is implemented in situ by the Women's Fund in Georgia (WFG) organization, acknowledged for its work on women's rights.
More specifically, the Cohesive approaches for tackling violence against LBT women in Georgia project aims at:
- Raise awareness among local players (politicians, media representatives, security sector's representatives, NGOs, activists and religious leaders) in Tbilisi, Batumi and Kutaisi on the issue of violence against LBT women (lesbian, bisexual and transgender) as well as the importance to respect their rights;
- Reinforce capacities of activists and associations involved in issues related to LBT women and women's rights;
- Raise awareness of the Georgian population on the issues experienced by the LBT collective;
- Document cases of violence against LBT women;
- Increase knowledge of LBT women on self-defence techniques.
The project, initiated in December 2014 for a 12-month duration, is built around 4 activities, especially the provision of 10 micro-grants to LBT representatives and organizations based in the territory.
TheFund, coordinated by Expertise France since the launch of the first call for international projects in 2010, is currently funded by France, Norway, the Netherlands, the United States, and the Randstad Foundation. The Funds steering committee includes all of the donors as well as representatives from the National Consultative Commission for Human Rights, Amnesty International France, IFRM, the ILGA Association and the IDAHO Committee.
By Beatriz Aguirre-Noceda