The 4 years / 5.5M€ European Union “CRIMARIO Project” is financed under the “Critical Maritime Routes” programme (CMR) of the “Instrument contributing to Stability and Peace” (IcSP) of the European Commission.
The overall project objective is to enhance maritime security and safety in the Indian Ocean and the Gulf of Aden regions through information sharing and capacity building, promoting regional cooperation.
The “training and capacity building” component of the project has developed courses, workshops and events to the benefit of the countries of the Indian Ocean. A series of courses focused on “Analysis of maritime oriented data” will begin in late July beginning of August.
The CRIMARIO project management team is requesting short term expertise (STE) to prepare and/or deliver lessons to the benefit of maritime analysts of national agencies (both civilian and military) from the Indian Ocean involved in the action of state at sea. The selected STE will explain to the audience the implications of the deployment of a naval task force (TF) in a designated region; describe (in English and French) what is the footprint of such a TF in terms of logistic, politics, economy, security, safety etc., and present what are the specifics of the different TF deployed in the Indian Ocean since 2005.
STE - Lecturer in courses for maritime analysis
Country or Region
France (or country of residence of the expert) / Madagascar
In coordination with the EU CRIMARIO representative in the field, the Short-Term Expert(s) shall carry out the following specific tasks:
1. Develop course support documentation (for attendees and teacher) for above lessons, in French or English in accordance with para II 1, II 3, and V.
2. Deliver a 1 day lesson (minimum 3h; maximum: 5hours) in the region. The dates are given at para II 3.
It is preferred if the STE developing the course support documentation also delivers the courses. However, depending on the availability of the first STE throughout 2017, the two roles can be split if necessary.
- The full course support documentation (for attendees and teacher) is delivered to the CRIMARIO expert ( email@example.com) no later than May 29 2017. Minimum duration of the lessons: 3 hours; maximum: 5 hours. See para V for important details.
- The lecturer(s) will participate as Short Term Expert (STE) in accordance with the European Commission standards. Duration of the lessons (all combined): 3 to 5 hours, in one day. Each course will last 15 days. Subject to availability, the STE will select one day from the each of the following dates:
- July 24 to August 03 included, July 29 and 30 excluded. The curriculum is delivered extensively.
- September 18 to 21 included. The curriculum is partly delivered, and the STE plays as an adviser in a role-playing exercise (the exercise is prepared by CRIMARIO).
- October 16 to 27 included, 21 and 22 excluded. The curriculum is partly delivered, and the STE plays as an adviser in a role-playing exercise (the exercise is prepared by CRIMARIO).
Course support documentation (for attendees and instructor) for above lessons, in French or English, as mentioned in para II.3. This includes as a minimum electronic slides and guidance companion for the instructor as per annex 1.
Number of working days
- Development of course documentation (once): 15 working days
- Delivery of a course (per course): 5 working days (2 preparation at home, 2 travel, 1 delivery on site)
Qualifications and skills
- Senior officer in one the following: Navy, law enforcement at sea, legal adviser.
- A comprehensive experience at HQ level in naval/air operations focused on law enforcement at sea or maritime interdiction;
- Experience in Horn of Africa / Gulf of Aden / Indian Ocean;
- Fluent in spoken and written English (EN) and / or French (FR). Preference will be given to those fluent in both languages;
- Excellent communication skills.
- Material must be developed in French
Documents to submit :
- CV ;
- Cover letter including a draft plan of the lessons (10 lines max), and the availability of the candidate throughout 2017, regarding para II 3
Together with CV, candidates have to give full coordinates of the company which is to be contracted by Expertise France.
The process of selection of expressions of interest will occur in two phases:
- As a first step, a shortlist will be freely established by Expertise France.
- Selected candidates may then be invited for an interview.
Fees for the services will be negotiated with the designated candidate.